Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What is fashion?

Although this probably seems like a simple question, I think it is pretty essential. For me, fashion is more than just clothing. While I love shopping and staying up-to-date with the latest trends, runway collections are what truly inspire me. Karl Lagerfeld, Christian Lacroix, and John Paul Gaultier are just a few of the renowned fashion designers who take fashion to the next level. Whether experimenting with new materials, creating dynamic silhouettes, or coming up with outlandish designs, these individuals are the ones who define fashion.

So where do these designers derive their inspiration? In many cases, designers look to the world of ART for ideas. It is not unusual for individual paintings or art movements to influence an entire season’s collection. Ultimately, runway fashion is art. As art inspires fashion, fashion inspires art. Both designers and artists constantly push boundaries as they compose fashion lines and art compositions that stand the test of time.

This blog will allow me to combine my interests in fashion, art, and art history as I analyze the latest runway shows influenced by art. I find it fascinating how many designers are able to view works of art and generate entire couture or ready-to-wear collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment